Joanne (Jo) Earl is an Associate Professor and MBA Director at Flinders University.
Jo’s research focuses on retirement planning across the lifespan and retirement adjustment. She consults to industry on a regular basis. Her primary role is researching and leading all aspects of the MBA Program at Flinders.
Retirement Resources Inventory: This study explores the development of an inventory that assesses resources relevant to retirement wellbeing.
Ongoing research projects
- Time perspective based retirement planning interventions
- Financial literacy and cognitive decline
Developing dynamic resource based materials to improve the retirement experience
Publications pertaining to work and ageing
- Earl, Gerrans, P. & Halim, V. (2015). Active and Adjusted to Retirement: Investigating the Contribution of Leisure, Health and Psychosocial Factors to Retirement Adjustment. Leisure Sciences, 37 (4), 354-372.
- Earl, J.K., Gerrans, P., Asher, A. & Woodside, J. (2015). Financial literacy, financial judgement, and retirement self-efficacy of older trustees of self-managed superannuation funds. Australian Journal of Management, 40 (3), 435-458.
- Earl, J.K. Bednall, T and Muratore, A.M. (2015). A matter of time: Why some people plan for retirement and others do not. Work, Aging and Retirement, 1-9.
- Muratore, A.M. & Earl, J.K. (2015). Improving retirement outcomes: The role of resources, preretirement planning, and transition characteristics. Ageing and Society, 35 (10), 2100-2140.
- Muratore, A.M., Earl, J.K. & Collins, C.G. (2014). Understanding Heterogeneity in Adaptation to Retirement: A Growth Mixture Modelling Approach. International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 79 (2), 131-156.
- Earl, J.K. & Archibald, H. (2014). Retirement Planning is more than just accumulating resources. European Journal of Management, 14 (2), 21-36.
- Leung C.S.Y., & Earl J.K. (2012). Retirement Resources Inventory: Construction, factor structure and psychometric properties. Journal of Vocational Behavior. doi:10.1016/j.jvb.2012.06.005
- Donaldson T., Earl J.K., & Muratore A.M. (2010). Extending the integrated model of retirement adjustment: Incorporating mastery and retirement planning. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 77(2), 279-289. doi:10.1016/j.jvb.2010.03.003
- Earl, J.K. (2010).The contribution of spirituality to the process of retirement. Journal of Management, Spirituality and Religion, 7(3), 223-240.
- Muratore A.M., & Earl J.K. (2010). Predicting retirement preparation through the design of a new measure. Australian Psychologist, 45(2), 98-111. doi:10.1080/00050060903524471
- Wong J.Y., & Earl J.K. (2009). Towards an integrated model of individual, psychosocial, and organizational predictors of retirement adjustment. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 75(1), 1-13. doi:10.1016/j.jvb.2008.12.010
- Petkoska J., & Earl J.K. (2009). Understanding the Influence of Demographic and Psychological Variables on Retirement Planning. Psychology and Aging, 24(1), 245-251. doi:10.1037/a0014096