Associate Professor Barbara Griffin is Director of the Organisational Psychology program at Macquarie University.
Her research focuses on the adaptive processes that older workers undertake during the later career phase and when transitioning into retirement.
Effects of Perceived Age Discrimination: This study explores the long-term effects of perceived age discrimination on the job satisfaction and work withdrawal of older employees.
Ongoing research projects
- ARC-funded Discovery Grant (with Professor Mo Wang, Florida University) 'A mental model of remaining lifetime: motivating late-career adjustment and productivity'. This 4-wave longitudinal study is investigating how one’s view of the future impacts current adaptive and proactive behavior in the domains of work, retirement planning and health.
- 'Impact of age diversity in teams' is a project that aims to assess the impact of age diversity and age discrimination on older workers.
- Barbara is also involved in projects on incivility in the workplace and medical student selection.
Publications pertaining to work and ageing
- Griffin, B., Bayl-Smith, P., & Hesketh, B. (in press). The longitudinal effects of perceived age discrimination on the job satisfaction and work withdrawal of older employees. Work, Aging and Retirement. doi:10.1093/workar/waw014
- Bayl-Smith, P., & Griffin, B. (2015). Measuring work styles: Towards an understanding of the dynamic components of the Theory of Work Adjustment. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 90, 132-144
- Zacher, H., & Griffin, B. (2015). Work, Aging, and Retirement in Australia: Introduction to the Special Issue. Work Aging & Retirement. doi: 10.1093/workar/wau011
- Zacher, H., & Griffin, B. (2015). Older workers' age as a moderator of the relationship between career adaptability and job satisfaction. Work Aging & Retirement. doi: 10.1093/workar/wau009
- Hesketh, B., Griffin, B., Dawis, R., & Bayl-Smith, P. (2015). Extensions to the dynamic aspects of the Retirement Transition and Adjustment Framework (RTAF): Adjustment behaviors, work styles and identity. Work Aging & Retirement. doi: 10.1093/workar/wau004
- Griffin, B., Sherman, K., Jones, M., & Bayl-Smith, P. (2014). The clustering of health behaviors in older Australians and their association with physical and psychological status and sociodemographic indicators. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 48, 205-214.
- Bayl-Smith, P., & Griffin, B. (2014). Age discrimination in the workplace: The indirect effect of identifying as a late career worker upon engagement and intended retirement age. Journal of Applied Social Psychology. doi:10.1111/jasp.12251
- Gill, B., Griffin, B., & Hesketh, B. (2013). Changing expectations concerning life-extending treatment: The relevance of opportunity cost. Social Science and Medicine, 85, 66-73.
- Griffin, B., Loh, V., & Hesketh, B. (2013). A mental model of factors influencing subjective life expectancy. Social Sciences and Medicine, 82, 79-86.
- Griffin, B., Loe, D., & Hesketh, B. (2012). Using proactivity, time discounting and the theory of planned behavior to identify predictors of retirement planning. Educational Gerontology, 38, 887-889.
- Griffin, B., Hesketh, B. & Loh, V. (2012). The influence of subjective life expectancy on retirement transition and planning: A longitudinal study. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 81, 129–137. doi:10.1016/j.jvb.2012.05.005
- Hesketh, B., Griffin, B., & Loh, V. (2011). A future oriented Retirement Transition Adjustment Framework. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 79, 303-314.
- Griffin, B., & Hesketh, B. (2008). Postretirement work: A model of the determinants of paid and volunteer work. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 81(1), 101-121.
- Bidewell, J., Griffin, B., Hesketh, B. (2006). Timing of retirement: Including a delay discounting perspective in retirement models. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 68, 368-387.
- Griffin, B., Bayl-Smith, P., & Barbour, J. (in press). Age discrimination in the workplace.
- Griffin, B. (2014). Promoting the Work Adjustment of Late Career Employees. In P. Hartung, M. Savickas, & B. Walsh (Eds). APA Handbook of Career Intervention Volume 2. Washington DC: American Psychological Association.
- Griffin, B., Loh, V., & Hesketh, B. (2012). Age, gender and the retirement process. In M. Wang (Ed.) The Oxford Handbook of Retirement. USA:Oxford University Press.
- Griffin, B., Barbour, J., & Wang, M. (2016). Effect of salient future selves on proactive behavior in older workers: Evidence from work, retirement and health domains. Symposium paper presented at the Human Resource Conference, Sydney.
- Barbour, J., & Griffin, B. (2015, July). Mental models of remaining lifetime and late-career adjustment in older workers: Preliminary findings. 11th Australian Industrial and Organisational Psychology Conference, Melbourne.
- Bayl-Smith, P. & Griffin, B. (2015, July). Moderating the effects of age discrimination: A P-E fit perspective. 11th Australian Industrial and Organisational Psychology Conference, Melbourne.